Yes, it has been more than a couple months since I posted last, and there’s a reason for it.
Well, several reasons.
My last post was way back at the end of August, at a time when I was preparing to work on a series of PSA-related videos for a producer friend of mine. The whole story is told in the post in my professional blog here, but the short version was that soon after I volunteered, I went from editing to actively shooting the material, with the assistance of a good friend and his video equipment. The edit process took up just about the entire month of August, interspersed with some research, leaving very little time left over to carry me through into the following months.
Then, instead of writing more blog posts, I was writing other stuff. Among my writing projects:
- First and foremost was the release of my first official WordPress plugin, Unicode Character Keyboard. It was a long process, as the last several weeks of development contained a constant stream of innovations and additions until I finally decided I needed to stop dickering with the code and just release it. That was a couple of weeks ago and I’m already deep into the first revisions. This process included:
- Upgrading my web development platform to NetBeans (I had been using HomeSite which was bought up by DreamWeaver which eventually got bought up by Adobe) and wishing I had done so much, much earlier. Also installing TortoiseSVN in order to interface with the WordPress Subversion content management system and discovering it also plugged into NetBeans.
- Setting up and transferring my company website (here) because the WordPress plugin submission process requires someplace to find the plugin to review it before accepting and releasing it.
- Blogging about some of the various issues related to writing the Unicode Character Keyboard plugin and blogging about my video business and other video related subjects that caught my attention, all of which can be found here.
- Several chapters of and a host of supplemental material for a possible YA SF novel, in a future civilization that make heavy use of psychic abilities for many common functions, including interstellar travel (teleportation) and telepathy. One of the central characters is a powerful telepath who has particular experience in bypassing telepathic shields and using a specific telepathic ability to put her targets to sleep.
- The starting chapters and some additional material of what might turn out to be a trilogy set in the Paizo Publishing Pathfinder RPG campaign world. Once I get more information about the campaign world and fill out a lot of the details I just might submit it; otherwise, its a background study of the central character, a kitsune enchantress. I got the idea from seeing the race described in the campaign source books and if I can’t play the character (I’m still trying to locate Pathfinder campaigns locally) then I’d like to write about her.
- Notes about a potential manga / web comic based on the concept of a maid cafe where the waitresses are all supernatural beings. Three of them are of note: a succubus, a kitsune and a vampire, all of which have hypnotic abilities. (It someone wants to pursue publication, I would be glad to discuss it with them.)
- A possible short story (inspired by a piece of art here) about what was described as a “Sci-Fi Succubus” which sparked several scenes and a possible plot but no real story as yet.
(And is anyone else seeing a pattern with the main characters in my fiction writing?)
Plus, I am, as always, job hunting. I have at least started my regular (but part-time, alas) jobs with the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum and the Fort Wayne Mad Ants so I’ve had little concentrated time in which to do the necessary research and writing to publish each week. Whether I will be able do so in the future remains to be seen, but I am hopeful to getting back to my regular schedule.